Monday, September 13, 2010

Things I've Learned Recently...

Okay, so I have been meaning to post this for about a month now, but I just NEVER have time! Seriously, it's crazy...especially while training for the Red Rock Relay (more about that in another post)...I would run every night after the kids went to bed and by the time I got back, didn't really want to do much. Now that's over, and Jason is out of town, I thought I might actually update my blog!

I was thinking a while ago about the things I have learned recently and a lot came to mind, so I thought I would share...hopefully I can remember them!

  • Summer is much more enjoyable after losing 20 lbs. I started trying to lose weight last October and have lost about 20 lbs total. Previously summertime was not a lot of fun for me...it was super hot and miserable! I was shocked at how big of a difference 20 lbs of extra weight makes.
  • Along the same lines as the above...no matter how much weight I lose, I don't think I will ever feel totally confident and secure about my body. I wish I could get over it, but what's a girl to do?
  • This one has taken me a LONG time to learn...I've had to let go of caring what people think of me. I think this was one of the hardest things for me to understand. People will think what they will about me, so be it. I am myself and that's what you can expect from me, I am not fake or insincere at all...what you see is what you get. I had to let go of caring if I got invited to every single thing my friends were doing...it's not the end of the world it I don't get invited to every single girls night out, sure I'd love to go, but it's not that big of a deal. Like I said, I feel like this was a big step for me and it has made my life so much simpler.
  • I am not a trendy person. I have tried to be trendy fashion wise, but I just can't do it! I feel ridiculous when I do try something trendy on. That and I can never justify spending that much money on something that will probably be viewed as hideous in about a year...I just look at it as saving money! I am for sure a jeans and t-shirt type of girl...it works for me!
  • I will never stop worrying about my kids. Worrying if I am a good enough mom. Worrying how a choice I make for them today with effect their lives in the future...good and bad. Worrying that my kids don't have enough friends around (even though I know they do). Worrying that I am reading, playing, teaching, singing with my kids enough. I don't think it will ever end!
  • I am getting older. I know what's totally obvious, but it's taking some getting used to! I have been so used to always being the youngest in a group and that's happening less and less now. What's up with that?!?
  • I have a lot of fantastic people in my life! Of course, my husband and kids, my parents, in-laws, etc. But I also have great friends all around me...it is such a blessing to be able to call up any number of people if I ever need help with anything...I feel SO blessed!
Okay...I am not very good and putting my thoughts/feelings into words, but these are just a few things that have been on my mind for a while and I'm sure there are many more I totally forgot, but oh well!

6 comments:

ashley g. said...

Can I just say that I love you? You are one of the most genuine people I have ever met and I'm glad you shared those lessons. (I'm hoping to learn them someday...)

mIcHeLLe said...

ditto what A.G said. I have always thought you were so genuine and great. You were one of the very first people I met living here...and have nothing but good to say about you.
I think you look wonderful..I am so proud of you for what you have done. Way to stay dedicated. With 3 LITTLE kids...it's so hard. Keep staying true to who you are...
Oh, and I was watching The Real World (MTV) the other day..I know..so lame..and I swore I was their age...then realized I am SOOO much older than them!! It's all about how you feel, right?

The Kay Family said...

I hear you girl!! It's okay to not be trendy, to be a real person, to be 20 lbs. lighter (!!!!), and to be old. (I've been pulling out gray hairs for the past year - sad.) I love you for who you are and since the day I first met you - and that's been a LOOONNNGGGG time ago.

Miss you!!

Crystal said...

I like this post. I think your thoughts are echoed in the minds of many women. Having everyone like me and worrying about being a good mom are certainly things I am still trying to come to some kind of peace about.
It is true, we are getting old. But I am kind of liking being old. I know a lot of great old people after all.

Kari Badell said...

Not only are you genuine but you are a truly nice person. You've always been nice to me and I appreciate that. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal too; even more so now being a mom. AND congrats on being so successful with your weightloss(you look wondeful) and being dedicated to staying fit. I think people are crazy that say they can't do that once they have kids. It's all about time management. Anyway, good post. I also liked what you said about learning not to care about what people think...I had to learn that the hard way a very long time ago, but I've been MUCH happier since.

Lia said...

K, I loved reading this. I felt like I could relate to all of it. I'm not trendy and feel uncomfortable when I try, definitely old, lost 52 lbs and love it, have discovered that I still have body issues, I have recently come to the conclusion that I will always worry about the kiddos and the older they get the greater the consequences and responsibility, I'm not really social and have come to realize that if I don't put myself out there then I'm not gonna be attending too many parties (I'm okay with that),...etc etc.

Thanks for your thoughts, helps me to know others feel like I do.