Thursday, March 18, 2010

Who Wins the Bad Mom Award...



That would be me! This morning right after breakfast, the kids were heading downstairs to play while I was cleaning up our breakfast mess. I want to remind you...Jordan is now 16 months old...he can maneuver the stairs just fine and has been doing so since he was like 9 or 10 months old, so I don't feel the need to always watch him go down the stairs. Well, this morning I was standing by the sink doing dishes and at first I hear a panicked intake of breath from Jordan, then a big thump followed by a nice loud cry...I run as fast as I can down the stairs and I find Jordan at the bottom of the stairs with this beauty on his forehead! As he was falling down the 14 stairs to our basement (no landing), he hit his forehead on the edge of the runners/sideboards (not sure what they are called) of the stairs.

I tried to figure out how he would fall down the stairs, then I remembered a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, we were in the basement and I hadn't seen Jordan for a while...I asked Jason if he saw him and Jason looked up the stairs and there was Jordan practicing walking down the stairs...normally he slides down the stairs on his belly, but he was literally practicing walking down the stairs. I told him he needed to turn around and go down or he would get hurt. Every time I saw him trying to walk down the stairs I would tell him the same thing and he would listen. My best guess is that he was trying to be a big boy and walk down the stairs all by himself!

I'm not sure how many times today I had to remind him how he fell down the stairs earlier and he needed to turn around and go down...stubborn boy! Then, to top it all off...right before his nap, he and Brynn were playing and he bonked his head on a sharp corner of our end table...tough kid though...didn't cry too much and was fine for the rest of the day!

So yeah...I take the bad mom award today...we'll see what tomorrow brings...crossing my fingers for no repeat performances!

3 comments:

Kari Badell said...

So maybe we'll tie for this award this week...I wasn't a very good mommy yesterday, but I too hope to redeem myself today.

Lia said...

I remember being frozen in place when Kowhai fell all the way down the stairs in front of me. I couldn't move till she stopped at the bottom. I hated that moment!

The Tomlinsons said...

We all have days like this! You're not a bad mom--you're a regular mom just like the rest of us. Logan is constantly hitting his head! Rob's mom seriously suggested he wear a helmet!