Friday, February 29, 2008

Bye-Bye Binkie, Hello Marble Tower!




So, I have been thinking of taking Jaxon's binkie away (don't worry, he only uses it when he sleeps!) well, around Christmas I was talking to one of my friends, Chelsea and she was telling me how she took her little boy's binkie away. I thought it was a good idea, so I thought we would try it on Jaxon.

The whole concept is that the child buys a new toy with his binkie and has a new toy, but doesn't have a binkie anymore. I had asked Jaxon a couple of times if he wanted to do this and he always said no, so I didn't want to push it too much! Well, we were at our friends house on Sunday and Jaxon was playing with his friend Lily and she has a cool marble tower that he LOVED! Well, when we came home I asked Jaxon if he would like to buy a marble tower with his binkie and he decided that would be pretty cool.

So, on Monday after Jason came home from work, we started our search for a marble tower. We went to Target and they didn't have one, so we headed to the mall. Luckily, they had one! So, Jaxon paid the cashier (who had NO personality!) and was so excited to go home and play with his marble tower.

We let him stay up for awhile and he played with the marble tower the whole time! Finally it was time to go to bed. We started our whole routine, pj's, brush and floss teeth, get blanket (and usually binkie), read book, sing, and go to sleep. Well, when it came time to get his binkie he was less than pleased that he left it at the store. I guess you could say he had some buyer's regret. But we put him to bed and he cried for about 40 minutes. Finally I broke down and went in there and explained that we didn't have his binkie anymore and that was how he bought his marble tower. I talked to him for about five minutes and left and he was asleep in about five minutes.

He had a hard time a couple more times, but now he's totally fine! It is such a relief to get rid of that binkie! Anyway, this turned into a really long story, but there it is!

2 comments:

The Kay Family said...

Hooray for the big boy!! The funny part is, Corban just broke his last binky on Sunday (or the last one that I am buying!) and I decided that he is a big boy now too!! Now if I could just get the guts to put him in the toddler bed we would be all set. . . hmmmm. Good job Jaxon, it is worth it to have such an awesome new toy too!

Horner Family said...

Yeah! Congratulations!! That is a big defeat for not only Jaxon but for mom and dad. Sometimes those things are a lot easier for us to let them have. Glad he is doing so well!